Thursday 28 November 2013

A Piano Student's Journey: Learning & Performing Angel Pena's "Iyo Kailan Pa Man" (Yours Forever)

I have heard this song many times but never really studied it in detail until I enrolled in the  Filipino Piano Literature class under Prof. E. Laureola.

Like what I did with other Filipino kundimans, I sang the lyrics as I practised (silent singing helped too).  Followed all the tenuto markings on the piece. I especially liked the first piano solo part where the notes seemed to sound like teardrops falling. There are also mood changes (key change to A major), and I made sure these were clearly highlighted too. There is so much drama in the part where the singer says, "Kung babalik ka hirang, at ako'y lalapitan... (If you will come back love, and come to me) I started softly and got gradually louder until "Pusong iyo nang minsan, ay iyo kailan pa man....!" (The heart that once was yours, will be yours forever more....!) where it is played forte then piano.

The most difficult part of this piece for me was the piano solo which consists of full chords in succession. I spent much time studying that part, and I was always so disappointed that after so much practice, I still could not get it. I really didn't want my playing of that part to ruin the over-all beauty of the piece, and I continued practising until I could play it very well.

I'm happy that Prof. Laureola was pleased with my interpretation of this piece. Needless to say, it has become one of my favourite kundimans. I have attached the score below. Happy playing!  :)

Iyo Kailan Pa Man Music Sheet 


No comments:

Post a Comment